Learn about NuhopTake a Virtual Tour Signup for our Newsletter Submit a Nuhop Memory
In today’s educational arena of standards based education and district accountability, teachers and administrators don't have enough time to collaborate.
Nuhop’s Professional Development Sessions provide the template for educators to see each other in a new light, therefore fostering the foundation for better collaboration and collegiality. Nuhop’s Professional Development Sessions focus on building intentional communities of professional collaborators.
We use the best experiential tools to meet the desired outcomes of the school districts that we serve. These experiences provide educators with the opportunity to identify the positive impacts they have on their students and colleagues.
Teacher Training Programs are developed based on the needs of your district and your distinct school culture. Call Nuhop today to discuss the options for your most important resource: Your Teachers!
Professional Learning Community Defined
The term professional learning community describes a collegial group of administrators and school staff who are united in their commitment to student learning. They share a vision, work and learn collaboratively, visit and review other classrooms, and participate in decision-making (Hord, 1997b). The benefits to the staff and students include a reduced isolation of teachers, better informed and committed teachers, and academic gains for students. Hord (1997b) notes, "As an organizational arrangement, the professional learning community is seen as a powerful staff-development approach and a potent strategy for school change and improvement."
Adventure Based Professional Development
The Teacher Leadership Expedition is an adventure based professional development opportunity seeking to cultivate leadership capacity within classroom teachers.
The curriculum focus for the expedition is centered on:
- An Introductory examination of Teacher Leadership.
- Use of professional collaborative discourse as a means of identifying trends in Teacher Leadership.
- Through identification of trends each participant, or team of participants will develop a Teacher Leadership Blueprint for cultivating teacher leadership within their buildings.
School Culture & Transition Programs
A focus on the social climate/norms of a school!
Nuhop has been fostering the social and emotional growth of children since 1974. We specialize in utilizing the best practices in the experiential education field to create learning environments where people are empowered to change behaviors and succeed.
A Nuhop facilitator will meet with your Team to understand the current culture of your school. With a personalized understanding of your needs, Nuhop will develop a plan with your team to create the appropriate structures and build upon the strengths of your school climate.
A suggested outline of student and staff interactions will be presented during a staff-training day facilitated by Nuhop. By the end of this training, teachers will be armed with the necessary tools to engage students in experientially based hands-on learning activities that will examine and repress bullying, build positive social interactions and foster the development of Non-Cognitive Skills therefore creating a safe and welcoming environment for all students.
This personalized interactive training is designed to give educational professionals the tools and understanding needed to develop a school culture and mindset where responsibility, school spirit, and positive role modeling are the respected norms among students on their middle or high school campuses, and beyond the school grounds into the community.
Different from most nationally marketed transition programs, the T.E.A.M. Program is a completely individualized model that embraces specific district and building needs. No longer do schools have to settle for an off the shelf program that only meet a few desired outcomes, T.E.A.M. ensures systematic and systemic change!
The T.E.A.M. Training experience will focus on three core objectives:
- Develop a year-long orientation program that fosters the development of the social, academic, and leadership capacities of the entire student body.
- Create the scenario where all students attending the school are welcomed and valued from the moment they walk through the doors.
- Develop a fluid network of academic support structures, social interactions, and peer role models that assume responsibility for the success of all students.
Participants in the Initial Implementation Training (IIT) leave with the knowledge and skills needed to:
- Train and develop a core of Student T.E.A.M. Leaders.
- Implement a year-long transition program that includes a New Student Orientation Day as well as co-create curriculum for Academic and Social Continuations throughout the year.
- Develop an efficient and effective networking system for Student T.E.A.M. Leader Initiated Interactions.
The cornerstone to success for any educational environment is the development of a safe, welcoming, and supportive climate. The T.E.A.M. Program ensures that this type of culture shift is not only the responsibility of the adults in the building, but a collective responsibility that will have tremendous cumulative effects for years to come.
So, what are you waiting for? Join us in making a positive change in your school’s climate!